A film festival is a great way to showcase your talent as an actor, a writer, a producer, a director or a filmmaker. If you want to break into Hollywood, particularly if you are an actor or writer, the independent film circuit is a ticket in.
Here are five great reasons you should produce your own independent film. The payoff is enormous.
Five Reasons to Produce Your Own Independent Film
- When you produce your own movie, you can also act in it without having to audition. You instantly become a star and can proudly walk the red carpet with other stars. Publicity is paramount in becoming a celebrity and film festivals push you right into the limelight and press.
- If your film is accepted to film festivals, you instantly gain credibility and respect in the industry, especially if you get into one of the top 25 or top 10 biggest film festivals in the world like I did.
- You get instant access to network with the right people. Celebrity stars, producers and directors attend film festivals with their own films so you can get up close and personal with them. You can learn insider secrets and build relationships with them. Always bring business cards and be able to deliver a logline about your film that hooks them in seconds because they will ask you what your film is about. If you can cut to the chase without chasing them away, you may be able to open another door. At the Garden State Film Festival, I got up close and personal with the Sugar Hill Gang. Master Gee and HenDogg even plugged my radio show on video! At the Sunscreen Film Festival, after I spoke up in a workshop, established television and film actor Michael Roberts approached me and asked for my card and then emailed me to stay in touch! And by the way, that’s me with Ed Asner in the picture. At the Hoboken International Film Festival, I met tons of actors, producers and press people who I stayed in contact with and two months later, I got called to co-produce a full length feature film with Ken Del Vecchio starring Academy/Emmy/Golden Globe winners/nominees. During the production of that film, I not only landed a small acting part in it, but I got up close and personal with everyone involved in the film, including Eric Roberts, Robert Loggia and the financial backers plus I became Vice Chairperson of the Hoboken International Film Festival, which is one of the ten biggest film festivals in the world.
- If you meet an influential person in Hollywood or a person with ties to the “right people” and you either show them your movie trailer (on your smart phone) or hand them a DVD of your film which was an official selection at a film festival, they are more likely to watch it and engage with you, particularly if you can deliver a knock out logline that hooks them. They will instantly know that you have what it takes to make it because you did what it takes to make it – which is persevere until you had a finished professional product. Success attracts success.
- Film festivals are fun. You get to party Hollywood style with Hollywood celebrities. When I went to the Garden State Film Festival, I took my video camera so I could get hi-lights of the festival and then I put together a quick teaser for them. It gives you an idea of how exciting the film festival circuit could be!
I would love to hear your stories if you’ve been to a film festival or have any questions about them so feel free to comment below.
5 FREE GIFTS
by Beth Rosen, Copyright © 2012 All rights reserved